Friday, March 8, 2013

Fertilizer Friday - the greenhouses

Mustard or Kale flowers
It's fertilizer Friday and today is the day where we "flaunt our flowers" with other blogs courtesy of Tootsie Time. She is a blogger in western Canada who has started the tradition of other bloggers posting their flowers and plants every Friday. Check it out.

My flowers this week are courtesy of my veggie plot. I don't know if they are kale or a mild mustard as they came from a mesclun mix. Now they have bolted and are producing these pretty bright yellow flowers.
Whorls of flowers







I like how the whorls form. They produce a beautiful pattern. I haven't yet tried eating these. Maybe I'll take a nibble tomorrow or Sunday and I'll report back.

It's gearing up towards the busy season. We've run out of space in the big OC greenhouses and Sunday, when Pam and I work, we'll start to transfer the flats over to Vicki's greenhouse. I'm afraid that that house will be filling up fast as well and I really think I should order a couple more four-tier shelving units for the house.


Baby lettuces and greens

More baby lettuces and greens
The wildflowers came in. I'm glad I ordered 50 trout lilies as the bulbs are the size of half my little fingernail! They'll probably go into a 36 cell tray to grow on. I also received three kinds of trillium and 30 ferns. They are all so small that they fit in a grocery bag in the fridge. But we'll pot them up and see how they do. It's my first time ordering from this nursery in Tennessee so we'll see how viable their stock is.

The baby organic greens are coming along well - maybe a couple of weeks before we start harvesting. I could harvest for micro greens but I don't know how much of a market there is for that. We also have four shelves of seedling trays in this greenhouse.

Talked to Vicki about getting some poly barrels - 55 gallon to fill with water and to use as supports for a center bench. The big drums will serve as a kind of "heat sink" - warming during the day and giving off their stored warmth at night. The heating bill was rather alarming for February so I want to try anything to get the heating costs down and to modulate the greenhouse temperature.

3 comments:

  1. thank you so much for linking in this weekend...I always love to grab inspiration from those who play along with my little party. I can't hardly wait for spring to come...It will be so nice to play outside again for a few months!
    Things are looking great in your photos!
    I shared this post on the Tootsie Time facebook page
    I hope you will link in again every week!

    (¯`v´¯)
    `*.¸.*´Glenda/Tootsie
    ¸.•´¸.•*¨) ¸.•*¨)
    (¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´ ¸¸.•¨¯`•

    ReplyDelete
  2. This like it is going to be a fantastic summer for you! I am envious. smiles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much - I hope to have a busy and productive summer...lots of flowers and good, fresh, home-grown food.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments. I always appreciate feedback from other gardeners and bloggers.